10 Questions to Consider Before Voting
by Roger Olson
Roger E. Olson (PhD, Rice University) is professor of theology at George W. Truett Theological Seminary of Baylor University in Waco, Texas and author of the recent book, How to be Evangelical without being Conservative.
Here's an excerpt from the book's foreword by Scot McKnight: "[This book] is from a scholar who not only knows his stuff (my "technical" expression for a brilliant scholar) but who loves God and loves God's church. This book is not some highbrow book designed to prove how much a scholar knows. This book is for anyone who knows that deep inside there are often middle ways, a Third Way, another option - one that gets beyond the polarities and finds common ground that both sides are neglecting."
With the presidential election just around the corner I asked Dr. Olson to give us some "food for thought" before we vote:
5 Questions to consider before voting Republican:
1) What will happen to the poor in a Republican administration?
2) Will a Republican administration pursue world peace?
3) How will a Republican administration promote mercy, compassion and justice for all?
4) Is a Republican administration likely to be unduly influenced by large corporations?
5) Can a Republican administration show respect for every human person's dignity and rights?
5 Questions to consider before voting Democratic:
1) What will happen to the not-yet-born in a Democratic administration?
2) Will a Democratic administration keep America and others safe from terrorism?
3) How will a Democratic administration promote security and safety for Americans and others?
4) Is a Democratic administration likely to be unduly influenced by liberal special interest groups?
5) Can a Democratic administration show respect for traditional family values?
(Thanks to Dr. Olson for asking these questions. If any readers respond to his questions here, please keep it civil. Regardless of how you choose to vote, I encourage every member of the Church, Democrat or Republican, to pray for our nation's new leader. -Andrew)
Sign up complete.