COVID-19 Response: We're still shipping to the continental U.S., and shipping is FREE.
Sale: Word Biblical Commentary eBooks
Right now, save up to 77% on Word Biblical Commentary (WBC) eBooks that deliver biblical scholarship at its best. Get the deals today because sale prices end soon (January 27, 2019).
The commentaries on sale will help you gain balanced and canny insight into the meanings of the biblical text—by equipping you with a thorough understanding of textual, linguistic, structural, and theological evidence. The scholarship comes from leading biblical scholars who share a commitment to Scripture as divine revelation.
These widely-acclaimed commentaries (20 WBC volumes rank in the Top 2 Commentaries list at BestCommentaries.com) serve as exceptional tools for theologians and instructors, seminary and university students, working ministers, and everyone who wants to build theological understanding from the best of biblical scholarship.
Get the deals on WBC eBooks today and get biblical scholarship at its best.
What you get from Word Biblical Commentary
Each WBC commentary begins with an introduction that establishes important issues about the biblical text’s context, date, authorship, composition, interpretive issues, purpose, and theology.
Next, each section of the commentary includes:
- Pericope Bibliography that introduces you to the most important works for understanding each passage.
- Translation gives you the author’s own translation of the biblical text. It reflects the end result of the author’s exegesis, and attends to Hebrew and Greek idiomatic usage of words, phrases, and tenses.
- Notes from the author that address the translation’s textual variants, grammatical forms, syntactical constructions, basic meanings of words, and translation problems.
- Form/Structure/Setting addresses the redaction, genre, sources, and tradition of the pericope; its canonical form; and its relation to the biblical and extra-biblical contexts, in order to illuminate the structure and character of the pericope. You will also discover rhetorical or compositional features important to understanding the passage.
- Comment offers verse-by-verse interpretation of the text and dialogue with other interpreters, engaging with current views and scholarly research.
- Explanation reflects on the text’s meaning and intention at several levels, so you will understand each passage’s meaning: (1) within the context of the biblical book; (2) its meaning in the OT or NT; (3) its place in the entire canon; (4) theological relevance to broader OT or NT issues.
Each volume ends with a General Bibliography containing all sources used in the commentary.
See a Word Biblical Commentary in action
Download a free selection from Bill Mounce’s commentary on the Pastoral Epistles. Here you will see Mounce’s analyze Paul's greeting and the Ephesian problem in 1 Timothy 1:1-7. You will get a sense of how the WBC series approaches biblical interpretation, and see the kinds of insights you will gain from these resources.
Get these eBooks on sale today. Don’t wait, because the sale prices expire at 11:59pm on January 27, 2019.
Sign up complete.