Four Portraits, One Jesus, 2nd Edition
To Christians worldwide, the man Jesus of Nazareth is the centerpiece of history, the object of faith, hope, and worship. Even those who do not follow him admit the vast influence of his life. For anyone interested in knowing more about Jesus, study of the four biblical Gospels is essential.
The second edition of Four Portraits, One Jesus has been updated throughout to meet the needs to today's students. It is a thorough yet accessible introduction to the four biblical Gospels and their subject, the life and person of Jesus. Like different artists rendering the same subject using different styles and points of view, the Gospels paint four highly distinctive portraits of the same remarkable Jesus.
With clarity and insight, Mark Strauss illuminates these four books addressing the following important areas:
- First he addresses the nature, origin, methods for study, and historical, religious, and cultural backgrounds of the Gospels.
- He then moves on to closer study of each narrative and its contribution to our understanding of Jesus, investigating things such as plot, characters, and theme.
- Finally, he pulls it all together with a detailed examination of what the Gospels teach about Jesus' ministry, message, death, and resurrection, with excursions into the quest for the historical Jesus and the historical reliability of the Gospels.
This textbook together with its workbook, video lectures, and laminated sheet gives students everything they need for a thorough and enriching study of Jesus and the Gospels.
About the Author
Mark L. Strauss (PhD, Aberdeen) is university professor of New Testament at Bethel Seminary, where he has served since 1993. His books include Four Portraits, One Jesus; How to Read the Bible in Changing Times; The Essential Bible Companion; and commentaries on Mark and Luke. He also serves as vice chair of the Committee on Bible Translation for the New International Version translation.
Chapter 1 - What Are the Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 1 Flashcards
Chapter 2 - Exploring the Origin and Nature of the Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 2 Flashcards
Chapter 3 - Reading and Hearing the Gospel Stories
- View Resource Chapter 3 Flashcards
Chapter 4 - The Historical Setting of the Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 4 Flashcards
Chapter 5 - The Religious Setting_First Century Judaism
- View Resource Chapter 5 Flashcards
Chapter 6 - The Social and Cultural Setting of the Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 6 Flashcards
Chapter 7 - Mark_The Gospel of the Suffering Son of God
- View Resource Chapter 7 Flashcards
Chapter 8 - Matthew_The Gospel of the Messiah
- View Resource Chapter 8 Flashcards
Chapter 9 - Luke_The Gospel of the Savior for All People
- View Resource Chapter 9
Chapter 10 - John_The Gospel of the Son Who Reveals the Father
- View Resource Chapter 10 Flashcards
Chapter 11 - Searching for the Real Jesus
- View Resource Chapter 11 Flashcards
Chapter 12 - The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 12 Flashcards
Chapter 14 - Jesus Birth and Childhood
- View Resource Chapter 14 Flashcards
Chapter 15 - The Beginning of Jesus' Ministry
- View Resource Chapter 15 Flashcards
Chapter 16 - The Message of Jesus
- View Resource Chapter 16 Flashcards
Chapter 17 - The Miracles of Jesus
- View Resource Chapter 17 Flashcards
Chapter 18 - The Messianic Words and Actions of Jesus
- View Resource Chapter 18 Flashcards
Chapter 19 - The Death of Jesus
- View Resource Chapter 19 Flashcards
Chapter 20 - The Resurrection of Jesus
- View Resource Chapter 20 Flashcards
Experience Enhanced Editions
It takes less than 10 minutes to request and explore the FREE trial of this book in Enhanced Editions. Get started now.Start Free Trial
Discover more about the content and features in Enhanced Editions that help you learn faster and remember longer.Access Enhanced Edition