COVID-19 Response: We're still shipping to the continental U.S., and shipping is FREE.
Grasping God's Word
Grasping God's Word has proven itself in classrooms across the country as an invaluable help to students who want to learn how to read, interpret, and apply the Bible for themselves. The third edition, revised based on feedback from professors, will continue to serve college-level students and lay learners well in their quest to gain a firm grasp on the rock of God’s word.
Old Testament scholar J. Daniel Hays and New Testament expert J. Scott Duvall provide practical, hands-on exercises to guide students through the interpretive process. To emphasize the Bible’s redemptive arc and encourage correlation across the biblical canon, the authors have included a call to "Consult the biblical map. How does a theological principle fit with the rest of the Bible?" as an additional step in the Interpretive Journey. This edition has also been rearranged for clarity and includes updated illustrations, appendices, bibliography, and assignments.
A robust suite of learning aids is available for purchase to be used alongside the textbook to help students excel in their studies. These include a workbook, video lectures for each chapter featuring the authors, and a laminated quick study sheet with key concepts from the book. Free teaching resources for instructors and learning resources for students are available for Grasping God's Word on ZondervanAcademic.com.
About the Authors
J. Scott Duvall (PhD, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) is professor of New Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He is the coauthor with George H. Guthrie of Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek and with Terry G. Carter and J. Daniel Hays of the textbook Preaching God's Word: A Hands on Approach to Preparing, Developing and Delivering the Sermon.
- From Every People and Nation, and he has coauthored Grasping God's Word; Preaching God's Word; Journey into God’s Word; The Story of Israel: A Biblical Theology; Iraq: Babylon of the End Times?; Apocalypse; and The Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy. He teaches adult Sunday school at his local church in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, and preaches frequently throughout the nation.
Table of Contents
Part 1: How to Read the Book — Basic Tools
Part 2: Contexts — Now and Then
Part 3: Meaning and Application
Part 4: The Interpretive Journey — New Testament
Part 5: The Interpretive Journey — Old Testament
Appendix 1: Inspiration and Canon
Appendix 2: Writing an Exegetical Paper
Appendix 3: Building a Personal Library
Chapter 1 - Bible Translations
- View Resource Chapter 1 Flashcards
Chapter 2 - The Interpretive Journey
- View Resource Chapter 2 Flashcards
Chapter 3 - How to Read the Book Sentences
- View Resource Chapter 3 Flashcards
Chapter 4 - How to Read the Book - Paragraphs
- View Resource Chapter 4 Flashcards
Chapter 5 - How to Read the Book - Discourses
- View Resource Chapter 5 Flashcards
Chapter 6 - The Historical-Cultural Context
- View Resource Chapter 6 Flashcards
Chapter 7 - What Do We Bring to the Text?
- View Resource Chapter 7 Flashcards
Chapter 8 - The Literary Context
- View Resource Chapter 8 Flashcards
Chapter 9 - Word Studies
- View Resource Chapter 9 Flashcards
Chapter 10 - Who Controls the Meaning?
- View Resource Chapter 10 Flashcards
Chapter 11 - Levels of Meaning
- View Resource Chapter 11 Flashcards
Chapter 12 - The Role of the Holy Spirit
- View Resource Chapter 12 Flashcards
Chapter 13 - Application
- View Resource Chapter 13 Flashcards
Chapter 14 - New Testament - Letters
- View Resource Chapter 14 Flashcards
Chapter 15 - New Testament - Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 15 Flashcards
Chapter 16 - New Testament - Acts
- View Resource Chapter 16 Flashcards
Chapter 17 - New Testament - Revelation
- View Resource Chapter 17 Flashcards
Chapter 18 - Old Testament - Narrative
- View Resource Chapter 18 Flashcards
Chapter 19 - Old Testament - Law
- View Resource Chapter 19 Flashcards
Chapter 20 - Old Testament - Poetry
- View Resource Chapter 20 Flashcards
Chapter 21 - Old Testament - Prophets
- View Resource Chapter 21 Flashcards
Chapter 22 - Old Testament - Wisdom
- View Resource Chapter 22 Flashcards
Learn how to read, interpret, and apply the Bible for yourself. Grounded in sound and memorable principles, Biblical Interpretation gives you the tools you need to study Scripture with insight, accuracy, and understanding.