To Christians worldwide, the man Jesus of Nazareth is the centerpiece of history, the object of faith, hope, and worship. Even those who do not follow him admit the vast influence of his life. For anyone interested in knowing more about Jesus, study of the four biblical Gospels is essential.
An abridged edition of the bestselling textbook Four Portraits, One Jesus by Mark Strauss, this simple, easy-to-understand guide introduces the four biblical Gospels and their subject, the life and person of Jesus.
Like different artists rendering the same subject using different styles and points of view, the Gospels paint four distinctive portraits of the same remarkable Jesus. With clarity and insight, Mark Strauss addresses questions that surround the study of Jesus and the Gospels. What are the Gospels - are they history, theology, biography? Where did they come from? What do we know about their context? What does each Gospel uniquely teach us about Jesus? Finally, he pulls it all together illuminating what the Gospels together teach about Jesus' ministry, message, death, and resurrection, and how do we know we can trust their witness.
Including questions at the end of each chapter for group discussion or personal reflection, Introducing Jesus makes the words, history, and context of the Gospels come alive for readers.
About the Author
Mark L. Strauss (PhD, Aberdeen) is university professor of New Testament at Bethel Seminary, where he has served since 1993. His books include Four Portraits, One Jesus; How to Read the Bible in Changing Times; The Essential Bible Companion; and commentaries on Mark and Luke. He also serves as vice chair of the Committee on Bible Translation for the New International Version translation.
Chapter 1 - What Are the Gospels?
- View Resource Chapter 1 Flashcards
Chapter 2 - The Historical Setting of the Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 2 Flashcards
Chapter 3 - The Religious Setting of the Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 3 Flashcards
Chapter 4 - Introducing Matthew’s Gospel
- View Resource Chapter 4 Flashcards
Chapter 5 - Themes and Theology of Matthew’s Gospel
- View Resource Chapter 5 Flashcards
Chapter 6 - Introducing Mark’s Gospel
- View Resource Chapter 6 Flashcards
Chapter 7 - Themes and Theology of Mark’s Gospel
- View Resource Chapter 7 Flashcards
Chapter 8 - Introducing Luke’s Gospel
- View Resource Chapter 8 Flashcards
Chapter 9 - Themes and Theology of Luke’s Gospel
- View Resource Chapter 9 Flashcards
Chapter 10 - Introducing John’s Gospel
- View Resource Chapter 10 Flashcards
Chapter 11 - Themes and Theology of John’s Gospel
- View Resource Chapter 11 Flashcards
Chapter 12 - The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
- View Resource Chapter 12 Flashcards
Chapter 13 - Beginnings: Jesus’ Birth and Childhood
- View Resource Chapter 13 Flashcards
Chapter 14 - Preparing for Ministry
- View Resource Chapter 14 Flashcards
Chapter 15 - Jesus’ Message
- View Resource Chapter 15 Flashcards
Chapter 16 - Jesus’ Miracles
- View Resource Chapter 16 Flashcards
Chapter 17 - Jesus’ Messianic Words and Actions
- View Resource Chapter 17 Flashcards
Chapter 18 - Jesus’ Death
- View Resource Chapter 18 Flashcards
Chapter 19 - Jesus’ Resurrection
- View Resource Chapter 19 Flashcards