You want to go deeper, understand, and immerse yourself in the Jewish history, culture, and community of Jesus. Let Josephus: The Complete Works open your eyes. Flavius Josephus—first-century Pharisee, Jewish historian, Roman consultant, and writer, documented aspects of life during the time of Christ, giving us extensive writings on ancient Jewish history in existence. By studying Josephus’ works, readers gain a behind-the-scenes look at biblical figures including Abraham, Moses, John the Baptist, and James the brother of Jesus, plus insights into the Dead Sea Scrolls community, Sadducees and Pharisees, the War of the Jews, and beyond.
- The War of the Jews—an account of the Jewish revolt against Rome up to the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem
- The Antiquities of the Jews—a history of the Jews from Creation to the Roman occupation of Palestine
- The Life of Flavius Josephus—the autobiography of Josephus, who fought against Rome and later served the empire
- Against Apion—a defense of the origin of Judaism in the face of Greco-Roman slanders
- Discourse to the Greeks Concerning Hades—a text Whiston attributed to Josephus
- Index of parallels between Josephus’s Antiquities and the Old Testament including the Apocrypha
About Flavius Josephus
Josephus was a first-century Pharisee, soldier, informant to the Romans, and writer. He left behind the most extensive writings on ancient Jewish history still in existence.